Picture this: a family photo session that not only freezes moments in time but also showcases your unique bond through carefully chosen wardrobes. In this blog post, we'll explore the art of selecting outfits for family sessions—whether you're leaning towards neutral, timeless ensembles or opting for the warmth of seasonal, dark, and earthy tones. Let's dive into how your photographer can be your style guide to ensure your family shines in every frame.
The Timeless Elegance of Neutrals:
Neutral colors, such as whites, creams, grays, and soft pastels, are timeless choices that create a clean and cohesive look for family photos. These hues have a classic appeal that won't age with time, allowing your images to remain as elegant and relevant years down the line.
1. Coordination is Key: When going for a neutral palette, coordination is crucial. Mix and match neutral tones within the family to create a harmonious and polished look. Consider layering to add depth and texture, like a cream-colored sweater over a light-gray shirt for a touch of sophistication. Consider blues and pinks as well. Light shades can mix up the look. Always start with a base, neutral color and then add from there.
2. Consider the Setting: Neutrals work seamlessly in various environments, whether you're surrounded by nature, urban landscapes, or opting for a classic studio backdrop. Your photographer can suggest locations that complement your chosen wardrobe, ensuring a visually pleasing and cohesive result.
3. Personalize with Accessories: To avoid a monochromatic feel, add personality with accessories. A statement necklace, a pop of color in a scarf, or a classic hat can infuse character into the neutral palette without overpowering the overall aesthetic. Adding in another dash of color is another option if you don't want a complete neutral look.
Embracing Seasonal Dark and Earthy Tones:
For a cozy and seasonal vibe, consider embracing dark and earthy tones. Deep blues, forest greens, rich burgundies, and warm browns evoke a sense of comfort and are especially fitting for autumn or winter family sessions.
1. Cozy Textures and Layers: Opt for fabrics that exude warmth, like cable-knit sweaters, wool scarves, or faux fur vests. Layering dark and earthy tones adds dimension to the images, creating a snug and inviting atmosphere.
2. Harmony in Hues: Similar to neutrals, coordination is key. Choose a color palette that compliments the season—think forest greens and deep reds for fall or rich blues and grays for winter. This ensures a cohesive look that reflects the seasonal theme without feeling overly coordinated.
3. Discuss Location and Lighting: Dark and earthy tones often resonate well with outdoor settings, especially during autumn when nature provides a stunning backdrop of warm hues. Communicate with your photographer about the intended location and time of day to ensure the chosen colors harmonize with the environment and lighting conditions.
How Your Photographer (that's me!) Can Help:
Consultation and Style Guide: Prior to the session, I provide my clients with wardrobe guidelines that align with the chosen aesthetic. I also offer style guides and Pinterest boards to inspire and guide you in selecting outfits that photograph well.
Consideration of Lighting and Background: My expertise extends to understanding how different colors interact with lighting and backgrounds. I can guide you in choosing outfits that complement the session's location and ensure that everyone looks their best in the given environment.
Personalization for Each Family Member: Every family member is unique, and a skilled photographer can assist in ensuring that individual personalities shine through while maintaining a cohesive overall look. This might involve incorporating personalized accessories or subtle variations in color tones.
Whether you opt for the timeless elegance of neutral tones or the seasonal charm of dark and earthy hues, thoughtful wardrobe selection enhances the overall visual impact of your family photos. Collaborate with your photographer, share your preferences, and let the session become a reflection of your family's personality and style—a collection of timeless moments to be cherished for years to come.